1.07.2011

Momentary Lapse of Sanity...

I can't believe I'm even considering this, let alone typing it for all the world to see, but I am thinking about selling the house.  *GASP*  I know, I know.  It hasn't even been a year!  It seems crazy, but I think I found my DREAM home....my FOREVER home.  The one that we could expand our family in and maybe even take care of our parents in down the road.  It is even the house that has the potential space for a design studio (which is really important to me right now, see this post for more on that).  It is just perfect....AND its only a few blocks from our current house. 

Don't get me wrong, our house is great.  And I cannot tell you how much I love the neighborhood and the people.  It's better than we ever imagined!  I just worry that we are going to grow out of it sooner than expected and I would rather pull the bandaid off quick than get even more attached to our current situation.

Ugh, this is so hard.  So, being the crazy list-loving/organizational-guru that I am, I put together a list of the pros and cons of each house.  Here goes:

Current house:

PROS
Perfect size for us now
Exactly how we want it (with all of the renovations)
AMAZING neighbors
Walking distance to elementary school
Safe neighborhood
Quiet cul-de-sac
Good price
2 working fireplaces
Full basement ready to be finished
Conservation land behind us, no building = QUIET

CONS
Will outgrow and need to add on/move in a few years anyway
Only 3 bedrooms (could be 4 if put wall in master bedroom though)
Still need to replace windows
Only 1.5 baths, no master bath
Only 1 acre (although that is really a lot of land)
Wood siding...needs to be taken care of (especially trim)

New house:

PROS
Bigger house
4 large bedrooms
2.5 baths
1.5 acres of land (really large backyard)
3 car garage (we currently have a 2-car) - and room above it for studio!!
Lots of window/natural light
Historic home (1682)
Farmer's porch in the front
French doors in most of bottom floor to separate rooms
Vinyl siding

CONS
More expensive
Have to sell current house
On Main St. (which is oddly desirable in my town, but its still a main road and not as safe as current house)
Need to update kitchen (cabinets are relatively new, but need new appliances and countertops...probably paint cabinets too)
Need to refinish floors

Ok, that didn't really help at all.  There are about the same amount of pros and cons for each house.  I don't know what to do.  I just saw this new house and something clicked.  Maybe I'm just hormonal or something.  But, either way, I guess I'm going to look into it and see what the process would be like.  I actually already contacted my real estate agent and asked what her thoughts were on listing our house.  We would probably want to list our rental property as well, but it seems crazy to do that now when the housing market is still eh.  Who knows what will happen, but I will keep you all posted!!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment