9.14.2010

Storm Doors



We finally got around to installing the storm doors this past weekend!  And when I say "we", I really mean B and his dad.  I still need to paint the other door behind it black (which will match the front door) and do the trim in white....but that shouldn't take too long!  I'm so happy to finally be focusing on the exterior of the house.  We have been up to our eyeballs in the kitchen/bathroom renovation that the front yard (and even the backyard) have suffered.....A LOT!  I didn't show a whole shot of the front of the house for a reason.  As you can see by this little snippet, the weeds are slowly taking over the walkway.  Our plan is to pull up the brick pavers and reinstall them in a different pattern.  I also need to edge and plant around the doorway and put up the black shutters on the windows.....projects, projects, projects!!  I swear that its never ending....but to be honest, that is actually the fun part for me.  What would I do (or write about) if we were DONE with everything in our house.  Our lives would be so much more relaxing boring!  Ha!!  I wouldn't know what to do with myself! 

But since that isn't the case, we will be spending the next month or so working on the exterior of the house.  More details to come...

And while the boys did the heavy lifting this weekend, I spent my time unpacking the rest of our boxes and organizing everything for our yard sale this coming Saturday!  I don't know what it is about yard sales, but it really gets me motivated to organize and clean.  Getting rid of unnecessary things is such a cleansing experience.  We have so much stuff piled up everywhere........in our garage and basement and closets......needless to say, it was high time to do something about it.  I was also inspired by Sarah's post on "stuff" over at Thrifty Decor Chick.  She is in the process of going through her basement and organizing, so it got me motivated to do the same!!  Kind of like a spring cleaning...but in the fall!  Plus, if we make a little money from all of this stuff, then we can put it towards the items that we really NEED in the house (window treatments, couch, rugs, etc.).  The essentials!!  [Honestly, at a certain point our neighbors are going to start thinking that we are deliberately showcasing our lives through our bare windows.  "Look at those voyeurs over there, honey!!  Can't they put up some blinds or something.....haha, sorry neighbors!!!] 

Well, at least that is my plan for the earned cash.....I'm not sure B shares the same theory on that though!  It will be nice to finally settle into our new home with ONLY the things that we really love.  I told B while I was cleaning out the garage on Saturday that if I can't think of a place for it in the house within 5 minutes, then we don't need it!  And it worked.  We would look at something and say, this is going ____, or, more often than not, "where is this from and why have we kept it so long???"  There were also a few, "Ack, I can't believe you owned that!!!" but that was mostly the old college dorm items and things from our childhood.  I mean, do we really need to keep our 7th grade science project??  Even if it was prize winning....haha? 

So, that is how we spent our weekend.  Anyone else out there gearing up for a fall cleaning or a yard sale?  Any organizing tips??  I am all ears!  I could clearly use the help!



1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of painting your door black. I think if my front door was not red it would be black!

    ReplyDelete